In order to setup a connection between your projector and a computer, you must install the Wireless LAN unit in the projector. Also, install EMP NS Connection from the supplied EPSON Projector Software for Meeting & Presentation CD-ROM onto your computer. To use the full EasyMP functions, install all the software from the CD-ROM. See your projector's User Guide and EasyMP Guide for help.
There are two methods of connecting the projector and a computer via a network by using EMP NS Connection; 'Advanced Connection Mode' and 'Quick Connection Mode'.
- Advanced Connection Mode is an infrastructure connection, and connects to an existing network system via a network cable. If you install the Wireless LAN unit, in the projector, you can connect to the network via a wireless LAN access point. Advantages of this mode include:
- From a conference room, you can open and project a file stored on a computer or file server in another room.
- You can use the Internet.
- You can monitor and control projectors on a network from the computer.
- Quick Connection Mode only runs when you install the optional wireless LAN unit in the projector. It temporarily assigns the projector's SSID to a computer creating an Ad hoc connection, and after disconnecting restores the computer's network settings. Advantages of this mode include:
- You can easily connect to a computer and project images from the computer without making network settings.
- This lets you connect easily without a connector cable, and you can connect even if the projector and the computer are at remote locations.
Prior to setup, make sure that the driver for your computer's wireless LAN card/adapter is installed and it is setup for use. Normally, when a computer has previously been used to connect to a wireless network/device, you do not need to make computer network settings.
- For Windows: Make network settings for the computer by using the utility software supplied with the wireless LAN adapter, or Windows' own software. For more information, see the Windows documentation or the User's Guide supplied with your wireless LAN adapter.
- For Macintosh: Set the network port and communication station. For more details on setting the communication status, see the User's Guides for your computer or the AirPort card.
- Select System Preferences > Network from the Apple menu. The Network settings screen is displayed.
- In Port Configuration, click into the checkbox beside AirPort so it is ticked. Then click Apply Now. Close the screen.
Setting up the Projector
Before connecting the computer to the projector, you must make some network settings on the projector. As we are creating an Ad hoc connection, these should not be the settings you would use for any infrastructure network you have (e.g. the network used to connect to the Internet). In Ad hoc mode, your computer's wireless LAN card/adapter cannot connect to two or more devices/networks at one time - therefore it can only connect to the projector and not to the Internet.
You can use the remote control, using the 4-way button to move and the [Enter] button to confirm.
- Press the [Power] button on the remote control to turn on the projector.
- Press the [Menu] button on the remote control. The configuration menu is displayed.
- Select Network. The network menu is displayed.
When Network Protect is set to On in "Password Protect", a message is displayed and the settings cannot be changed. You can make changes after setting "Network Protect" to Off.
- Select To Network Configuration. The Network Settings screen in displayed.
- Select Basic and set Projector name and Projector keyword.
- When you later come to connect to the projector via the computer, the name set here is displayed in the projector list by the Epson software. 'EMPxxxxx' (where 'xxxxx' is a specific number) is displayed by default. Change it to a name that is easily remembered. Enter alphanumeric characters e.g. EPSON001.
- Make a note of the Projector keyword. When set to 'ON', a keyword must be entered when connecting to the network. This can prevent computer from making unscheduled connections and interrupting presentations. Only one computer can connect to one projector at a time.
- It is not necessary to set 'PJLink Password' or 'Web Control Password'.
- Select Wireless LAN and set ESSID. The ESSID is displayed as EPSON by default. You can change it or leave it as it is. If you set a different ESSID, make a note of it.
ESSIDs are case sensitive.
- Make sure the 'Connection mode' is set to Quick Connection Mode, as this is required to make an Ad hoc connection.
- Set the wireless LAN system as either "802.11g/b" or "802.11a" - this should be set according to the wireless modes supported by your computer's wireless card/adapter. The letters 'g', 'b' and 'a' signify a different speed and/or different frequency range.
- The Antenna level displays the electromagnetic wave strength for the wireless LAN.
- It is not necessary to set the items 'DHCP', 'IP address', 'Subnet mask', 'Gateway address' and 'DNS server (primary)/DNS server (secondary)'.
- Scroll to the Setup complete tab. Select Yes to save the network settings and return to the configuration menu.
- Press the [Menu], [EasyMP] or [LAN] button on the remote control. The configuration menu closes. While the configuration menu is displayed, network connection becomes invalid.
Operating the Computer
In the following explanations, unless otherwise noted, Windows screen images are used. You see the same screens even when using a Macintosh computer.
- Start EMP NS Connection.
- Windows: Select Start > Programs (or All Programs) > EPSON Projector > EMP NS Connection.
- Mac OS X: Double-click the Applications folder of the hard drive volume in which EMP NS Connection is installed, and then double-click the EMP NS Connection icon.
- The EMP NS Connection window is displayed. Select Quick Connection Mode and then click OK. If preferred, tick the box beside 'Set the selected Connection Mode as the default mode for future connections.'. Quick Connection Mode will be set as the default and this window will not be shown again and therefore you will not have the option to choose a mode next time.
- If the following screen is displayed during startup, click the Yes button.
"Unable to search for projectors due to firewall. Do you want to disable the firewall?"
When you click Yes, a firewall exception is created for EMP NS Connection and it can then be used with the firewall enabled.
- If EMP NS Connection is started while PowerPoint is running, the message "If PowerPoint is not restarted you may not be able to execute a slide show." is displayed. In this case you need to close PowerPoint and reopen it after starting EMP NS Connection.
- The projector search results are displayed. Select the projector you want to connect to, and then click Connect. If the projector you want to connect to is not displayed in the search results, click the Automatic search button. The search takes about 30 seconds.
- If you have set a keyword on the projector, check the keyword displayed on the EasyMP standby screen, and enter the projector's keyword.
You can now project images. Please refer to your User's Guide and EasyMP Guide for information on projecting images, movies and PowerPoint Presentations, using EMP SlideMaker2, Multi-Screen Display, and other EasyMP features.